The American College of the Building Arts (ACBA) located at the Old Charleston Jail will host the annual Masters of the Building Arts (MBA) Festival on Saturday, March 19, 2011 from 10am to 4pm. The college is located at 21 Magazine Street in downtown Charleston.
Richard Sargent will be at the MBA Festival demonstrating the process of hot forging and filing. A professional blacksmith for over 30 years, he focuses on high-end, traditional design and execution of architectural ironwork. He also is nationally recognized for his research and reproduction of 18th and 19th century building hardware as well as tradtional design and execution of architectural iron work
As part of the Masters of the Building Arts Festival, prospective students are invited to attend the Open House events on March 19 (also one on April 9). Open House is from 8:30am to 12:30pm. Students will have the opportunity to learn about each of the College’s programs from College faculty. Current students, faculty, and staff will be available to answer questions. During the Open House, prospective students will tour the workshops and classrooms at the College’s Old City Jail Campus, and enjoy lunch in the Jail courtyard. Advance reservations are required.
- 8:30 a.m. Continental Breakfast, James Island Campus
- 9:00 a.m. Welcome by Admissions & College and Overview by Dean Warren
- 9:15 a.m. Visit trade workshops and meet trade faculty
- 10:00 a.m. Break
- 10:15 a.m. Depart for Old City Jail
- 10:30 a.m. Tour of the Old City Jail Campus, trade workshops and academic classrooms.
- 11:30 a.m. Lunch and a Meet and Greet with the College President
- 12:15 p.m. Student interviews as scheduled with Admissions Office *
*Student interviews are a required part of the admission process. Appointments can be scheduled by calling (843) 577-5245.